Here is some good news I learned from Dr. Steven Schuster (one of the gurus in CAR-T) during a November 17, 2016 Lymphoma Research Foundation “Advances in Immunotherapy in the Treatment of Lymphoma” teleconference Q&A. This teleconference is posted at http://www.cancercare.org/connect_workshops/555-advances_immunotherapy_treatment_lymphoma_2016-11-17
Results from his UPENN Abramson Comprehensive Cancer Center follicular lymphoma CAR-T clinical trial showed:
- Of 14 follicular lymphoma patients 10 (72%) achieved a complete remission.
- No patient achieving a CAR-T complete remission has relapsed.
- As of today the average time in complete remission is about 2 years.
- If your complete remission is 2 years or greater you have the same survival odds as someone who never had follicular lymphoma.
- After one year about 50% of his follicular lymphoma CAR-T patients have their non-lymphoma B-cells come back and no longer need IVIG infusions.